Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Chronicles of Narnia

WORD OF THE DAY
une cuillère: spoon

"In the film 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice" the hero's name was:"
A. Percy Jackson
B. Dave Stutler
C. Edward Cullen
D. Harry Voldemort

This was a question on a French game show I was watching in my hotel. Needless to say I would have kicked butt.
Hairy Voldemort?

Anyway. I've finally moved everything into my dorm. Unfortunately, I don't have internet access their yet because I don't have a phone yet. (It's very complicated and equally as stupid.)

"But, Molly," you might ask, "How are you updating your blog? Isn't that on the internet??"

Yes, hypothetical reader, you're exactly right. But I'm not in my dorm. I trekked all the way back to my hotel, and I'm in the lobby using their wifi probably not entirely legally.

So a lot has happened these last few days, and since I don't have my journal next to me, I can't remember everything chronologically. So here are some pieces of my memory batter, cooked and ready for you to enjoy:

1. My dorm room is miserably hot and humid. I'm not sure if it's that Europeans don't believe in air conditioning or if they just don't want me to have it. Last night I slept with my window open (which only goes up about 6"--I think it's broken) and my door open to improve circulation. I still woke up at 4 though and laid on the floor in front of my open refrigerator. It was super fun.

2. I have introduced myself by name to only one other student so far. We got off at the same bus stop and he had 5 or 6 rolling suitcases, so I offered to help him carry them up the MOUNTAIN to the dorm. His name was Michel, and he is literally the only person I've talked to without then having to purchase something.

3. Observation: Americans are EXTRA easy to spot.

4. Observation: New people in general are even easier to spot. They just stare at things for a really long time. I watched this guy stare at the bus ticket machine for at least 5 minutes without touching it. (He also still had an airport tag on his backpack [clue #2].) He then went over to the atm and stared at it for another 3-5 minutes. Just staring.

5. In the Place Masséna (the central shopping area of Nice), there was a man dancing to Billie Jean wearing all MJ attire. He pretty much only had one move. It was hilarious. Pictures to come later.
Place Masséna--picture from the Internet. NEVER this empty.

6. Observation: Buses are unreliable. I lugged my luggage (ohhh, I never noticed that . . . ) from the hotel to my dorm, a trip that should have taken 40 minutes to an hour tops, but, instead was delayed, rain-soaked, and moderately disgruntled for 4 1/2 hours. Basically, there was an accident on the bus route, so they were redirected around my stop (obviously). I wandered A LOT.

7. I asked the front desk of my dorm if they had bed sheets for sale. The man asked me if I was a doctor. Also, they didn't have sheets.

8. In the shower, the water stops running about every 30 seconds. You have to keep pushing the ON button. I guess it saves water.

9. I did find a little convenient store the other night on accident (where I bought the pomélo, the delicious imposter). So I tried to find it again last night, but I couldn't. It was gone! Then I stopped looking for it, and I totally found it.

NARNIA. Yet another instance where a bad sense of direction=MAGIC. It's very cute and price friendly. They sell some foodstuffs, household items, !fresh produce!, a wall of wine, and BAGUETTES!!
I bought some fruit, yogurt, and, of course, a baguette. He remembered me from before, and we talked for a minute. The price came out to 6,66€, so he made a joke about the devil. blah blah blah. Then, he taught me the word for spoon (see above) and gave me one too! Yay!
This will be my store. Pictures to come . . . again.

HUNGER PANGS

Amitiés :)

1 comment:

  1. I LOLed at #7, but my mouth was closed so it turned into this very loud snort/sneeze thing. I'm in the library. It was embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
I See London, I See France is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.