Thursday, December 15, 2011

Blades of Glory

"Revenons à nos moutons." (Let's get back to our sheep.)

So as I mentioned in the previous post, I was on my way into town to celebrate Zara's birthday among the whimsical Niçois Christmas festivities. We grabbed lunch at the campus dining place, which I hadn't actually been to yet (not missing much there), and then we went into town to go ice skating! Again!

Oh wait. But before we went ice skating we got mulled wine. Which was delicious, yes, but I can't help but think maybe that wasn't the best idea. In retrospect, probably not. But in the moment, consequences are of little . . . consequence. So after we finished our wine, we then proceeded to strap blades to our feet and slide around on a frozen, frictionless sheet of ice surrounded by children. We make good decisions.

(But nothing bad happened. We were fine. Everyone's fingers remained connected to their hands. No need to worry.)





After ice skating we wandered through a magical forest of snow-covered trees amid sleighs and giant chairs and other Christmasy things. We then proceeded to the ferris wheel. Which was a lot taller than I thought it was going to be.




Foreground: magical snow tree forest,
behind that: German village,
behind that: ice rink!

We then went back to the dorm for pizza and wine, but I was feeling a little under the weather, so I called it an early-ish night.


--------------------------------------------
So that was Monday.

Then yesterday, the girls and I went to see a German/French theatrical production thing that our friend Ricki was in. It was mostly in German. I mean, which is fine. I don't speak German. But it was still really entertaining. Basically this woman had died, and her family was arguing over her will. I made up a lot of the dialogue in my head. But . . . well we won't get into that here. I'll be here all night.

The point is, it was so fun. And, Ricki, you did such a great job. Hilarious. Just really funny.

Another fun night.
--------------------------------------------
Other Miscellaneous Musings:

1. I had to send a fax yesterday. Now, you might be asking yourself, "what's a fax machine? Like . . . like a fake tax machine? Wait, what's a tax machine?" Well, before you hurt yourself, let me tell you. A fax machine is an old fart piece of technology that we used to use to send documents using a fancy combination of the internet and a telephone number. Unfortunately, they've been deemed "old-fashioned." Here's my piece: when we decide to deem something "old-fashioned," that usually implies that we've invented something else to replace it. In this instance, the only thing it implies is that it's really really impossible to find a fax machine. I finally found one in a hotel lobby that I unknowingly wandered into like a dehydrated vagrant. I think she just felt sorry for me. She probably only pretended to send the fax. Just so I wouldn't die from disappointment. Library, internet café, and post office? You're on my naughty list.

2. On the way back to my dorm I found a puppy store. A puppy store.
A PUPPY STORE. A PUPPYYY STOOOORRRE!!!!!

3. I realized that when my mom and Amy come to France (IN FOUR DAYS!), it's gonna look suspiciously like I don't have any friends. 'Cause everyone is going home within the next 72ish hours. So, I mean, I have friends. They're just . . . not here right now. You JUST missed them, you really did. I swear.

4. The other day I was texting someone, and I said, "Oh I'll be there in 5 minutes. Or 2 minutes. Eh, tomato tomato." She was like "what the hell?" And I realized, to her, it just looked like I said "tomato tomato." Because I did. So I tried to clarify by saying "you know, like 'tomato tomato, potato potato'" which did little to help the situation.

5. Today I dropped my cell phone RIGHT NEXT to a sewer grate. RIGHT NEXT TO IT. I would like to take this moment and thank my lucky stars it didn't fall in. I don't think I could have handled that. Yet another reason why you should NEVER walk on sewer grates. Also biking. Don't bike over sewer grates.

Keep your children away from electrical outlets.

Amitiés :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
I See London, I See France is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.